Physicians rely on muscles to hold the spine therefore protecting it and strengthening its motion. Our bodies quit creating this spinal glue after the age of 25, resulting in Sarcopenia (muscle loss). The average adult can lose 2-3 pounds of muscle each year! Adults experience poor posture, thinning discs and more as they age. It is so important to prevent muscle loss. Hope is not lost if you are a more “seasoned” adult. You can reverse these effects.
Good Nutrition Improves Muscle
Certain whole, organic supplements and improved nutrition can stop Sarcopenia resulting in the rebuilding of spine-supporting muscle. Five specific supplements were tested. Each of these were clean, organic forms; none of them were synthetic or derived from steroids.
- Creatine (magnesium creatine chelate and creatine monohydrate) helps produce lean muscle. This specific blend doesn’t lead to excess water retention. Creatine delivers nutrients on the cellular level and generates ATP (the body’s cellular energy system).
- Branch Chain Amino Acids or BCAA’s (leucine isoleucine and valine) in specific amounts, can increase lean muscle mass and increase muscle growth.
- Magnesium (amino acid chelated) is important for good muscle and joint health. It is difficult to get good absorption if you don’t use the correct form. Magnesium can be highly beneficial. It has the ability to increase muscle efficiently without risking non-absorption.
- Chromium (amino acide chelated and polynicotinate) is an excellent supplement for the body. It regulates blood sugar and cortisol (stress) levels. When blood sugar and cortisol can be regulated, lean muscle can be built.
- Glutamine (stabilized magnesium glycyl glutamine) is a fundamental nutrient to the body. When your body is under stress, nutrients help your body to balance pH levels and remove acid from your muscles. It is the most common amino acid in your body as well.
How You Can Include These Supplements Every Day
Finally, it may seem a bit overwhelming to look at these supplements individually. There are various combined supplements available on the market such as Optimal Muscle Rx from the Optimal Health Systems. Supplements are an excellent way to get high quality nutrients in your body. When our bodies have the proper nutrition, you can build the strong, lean muscles needed to hold your spinal alignments together. Not only will your body function better, but the time you spend in our office will be well spent.
All information for this blog was referenced from the November 2017 issues of The American Chiropractor, pg 56 and can be found at www.theamericanchiropractor.com . Peak Performance Sport and Spine has in no way partnered with Optimal Health Systems or The American Chiropractor to receive any benefits from this article. As with any health advice, please consult your physician before beginning any fitness or diet/supplement regimen.